Environmental Incident Reporting
From time to time incidents occur that have potential to cause environmental harm. How such incidents are dealt with determines the level of environmental harm that may occur. This is why we ask all airport operators to prepare a response strategy for the most common environmental risks associated with their operations (Refer Environment Information Sheet 8 – Spill Response).
We also ask that all environmental incidents are reported to the Airport Environment Manager so that an assessment can be made whether further action is required to avoid or minimise the environmental effects of the incident.
We review and analyse the information received to determine if we can improve our performance and avoid or minimise similar incidents in the future.
The types of environmental incident we ask airport operators to report include those resulting in:
- Soil pollution (contamination) - most often caused by chemical, paint, oil or fuel spills; but sometimes caused by disposal of metal filings or sand blasting wastes to soil*.
- Water pollution - most often caused chemical, paint, oil or fuel spills but also caused by release of aircraft or vehicle wash water to stormwater drains*.
- Air pollution - normally caused by emissions of noxious or hazardous vapours from industrial processes or chemical storage facilities, but also includes the generation of significant quantities of dust.
- Noise Pollution – abnormally loud or long sustained loud noise most often caused by aircraft engine running in inappropriate locations on the Airport.
- Illegally dumped materials – Includes dumped materials of any nature.
- Fire damage – particularly in natural vegetated areas (such as bushland areas on airport) or in chemical stores.
- Harm or damage – to vegetation or fauna, natural ecosystems, items or buildings having heritage significance.
* Report spills of fuel and oil greater than 5 litres to the Duty Operations Officer immediately on 0419 294 432. Notify the Sydney Metro Airports Environment Manager of the incident as soon as practical thereafter.
* Record and report all spills of any size, to the Sydney Metro Airports monthly.
Environmental Incident Notification
Please fill in the MS Word document or PDF below to record the details of the incident and then it via email or fax to:
Sydney Metro Airports Environment Manager
PO Box 6450
Wetherill Park NSW 1851